Week 20 of 52 - Thoughts on Giving...

I’ve had this topic on my mind this week and when my weekend devotions were on the same topic, I figured it was more than coincidence.  Giving means different things to different people.  As a Christian, I think of tithes and offerings. 
Whew, tithing.  I hesitate to even mention it, I fear sparking a debate.  Some say it’s not a requirement for New Testament believers.   I suppose at some point we all have to decide what we are going to do.


The reasons I believe in tithing:

1.       1.  My mother.  She has always given faithfully.  She recalls the words of Malachi to the nation of Israel and believes the same still applies to us as givers: 

“Will a man rob God?  Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings. … Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this,” says the Lord of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it.”  “And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes so that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground, Nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field,” says the Lord of hosts. Malachi 3:8, 10-11

2.      2.  We’ve been given so much.  Yet despite this, I would be lying if I didn’t admit that I once faced a season of questioning whether to give in tithes to my church. I searched the scriptures and felt strongly that God was saying – look I give you all this and more:  forgiveness, salvation, family, health, work, and really, you’re going to find a verse to argue about whether to continue giving a percentage back to Me?   As my mind raced with all the blessings and memories of times that could have only been His provision, I felt so humbled.  Let's just say I came out of that season understanding more about what it means to be a cheerful giver.

I love this quote of Charles Stanley from Friday's devotion:  "We've been given so much at no cost, yet we struggle to give liberally.  Our selfish nature wants to keep what we have."   Yep, that would sum up that season of my life.

This weekend, as I read about the churches of Macedonia and how they gave themselves first to the Lord, then they gave according to their ability, and even beyond their ability, they gave of their own accord. Wow, if we want to debate something, let's talk about what it means to give beyond our ability!

I also believe in offerings to support the Great Commission as well as minister to the needs of others.   I can think of families in our church with potential financial needs due to health issues.  Families who have served and given to us, I pray we will be found giving back to them.

It would be easy to see all the Dave Ramsey debt reduction talk and think it’s all about building wealth for our personal gain.  If that’s all there is, what a waste. 

For my photos this week, more of my child who seems to have vowed to never look at another camera again...



We went to a nature show this weekend.  So good to have my friend Meg down for a visit!



0 comments:

Post a Comment