Week 27 of 52 - Trading one hobby for another, maybe.

I ate peanut butter crackers and instant oatmeal in San Francisco and Seattle to buy her - a sweet cruiser bike with the coaster brakes, fat fenders, and white leather hand grips.  When I saw that bike, I knew I had to have it.  

So instead of dining in San Fran’s and Seattle’s finest, I ate my suitcase snacks, saving my travel money to help buy my cruiser.  And boy did I cruise.. that first summer.
 
Then I became a mom and I abandoned her.  My good intentions to buy a bike trailer never came to fruition.  Recently, I decided to get a telephoto lens and I literally bumped into her in the garage.  I admitted to myself this would be the fifth summer she hadn’t left her corner.  Selling her to buy the lens only made sense.

Today she left on someone else's bike rack... sold for less than she’s worth.  The bike shop owner warned me no one pays what a good used bike is worth.   And I already miss her.   Telling myself we were never a good match to start with, three gears were hardly enough.

So now I sit with money for my lens, finding myself looking at seven-speed bikes and trailers.  My husband says, “You’re weird.”  I’m sure the lens will prevail, but the freedom of two wheels on pavement sure does call my name in ways I can't explain.


The little guys - July Fourth weekend


0 comments:

Post a Comment