Week 48 of 52: Tallying It UP

I had a rough idea of what I’d spent this year on my photography hobby.  Oh, rough idea indeed.  I recently tallied up every little thing I had purchased.

When I finished, even I was surprised.  No wonder people go in to the photography business to support their habit!  I told Walt I should write a blog post about my purchases, but wasn’t sure how to make it interesting.

He said, “Just tell the raw numbers, THAT will get attention.”

I said, “No, context is important.  I didn't just buy, I sold a ton of stuff this year – all my old photography gear, baby items, and things we no longer used.”  (Including several things of his which he never noticed.  Solid proof he wasn't using them!)

He said, “Write about how you won a camera bag, then didn’t like it, sold it, then bought and sold how many camera bags this year?  Seven?” 

I rolled my eyes and told him, “I can't write an entire post just about camera bags.”

  He said, “Of course you can, write about this week’s dilemma – how you managed to get TWO camera bags in the "sell out in minutes" sale and can’t decide which you like best.  And how I will listen to you say do I sell this one, or that one, do I send one back , or do I keep them both? for the next week.”

I scowled and said, “How's that relevant?”

He said, “I don’t know, but do you really have to write a blog post in the middle of the SEC Championship game?”

So 2012 will begin with a camera bag (or two) I like (for now), and a promise to better plan my “fun” money throughout the year. 

And maybe just maybe, I will promise to share pre-purchase discussions with Walt while he is still listening, instead of 20 minutes into conversation when he has begun nodding to whatever I say. But for now, the 2012 SEC Championship game seems like the perfect time to talk about the future of these two camera bags.

This Week In Photos:
We went to the Pink Pig to celebrate George's birthday and the holiday season.  For my photography friends, the interior lights were overwhelmingly pink (surprise, surprise) so I didn't fight the color casts.  Part of the atmosphere!
 

We enjoyed the scenery and the boys seemed to as well.




A good friend met us there, so we even have some shots of us all together...




I was intrigued by the photos of the original Pink Pig, and wondered how many of my Georgia friends rode the original?

2 comments:

Tamara said...

Love the commentary b/w you and W. And the pictures, as usual. G looks very curious, while S a bit scared. Glad you had fun. :) Oh, and the old Pink Pig looks like a jail cell! I never rode it and I'm not sure I would've wanted to!

marlowe said...

Seriously! I was marveling at the cost of some online classes but you are right. They have to charge a high price to offset the expense of equipment!

Cute kids ... and I love that your husband sounds like mine over the photography stuff.

Post a Comment